Born in New Zealand, Fished Worldwide
Innovative Constuction = Exceptional Performance
Marty Johanson, Owner of CD Rods New Zealand
The CD Rods Story
Composite Developments (“CD”) New Zealand began back in 1982 with the help of a leading American engineer (and fly fisherman) Richard De Wolf Kantner. Richard also worked on some pretty famous technology called “The Blackbird” after WWII before retiring from this business to start Composite Developments Ltd with Marty Johanson.
Today, we still incorporate a good part of this technology in the fly rods we produce, albeit the materials now are much more technically advanced. The C.D. designs come from many passionate people around the world, including our very own hands-on Kiwi fishos.
Learn more about the parent company – CD Fishing NZ!
CD Fishing USA
After years of “product testing” CD Rods in the fly fishing waters of North America, it is time to really share our love of these rods with you!
CD Fishing USA is headquartered in Hailey, Idaho – the gateway to the famed trout and steelhead waters of the Northern Rockies – where we “product test” on Silver Creek, the Bigwood River, Salmon River, Big Lost River, pristine alpine lakes…
Fly Fishing in the Northern Rockies
New Zealand Rod Test Team
- Tony Alan – West Coast fishing-lodge outfitter/guide throughout the South Island
- Gerald Telford – Wanaka, South Island
- Fish-Jet Te Anua – wilderness jet boat outfitter to remote trophy Big Brown Trout
- Herb Spannagl – fisheries researcher, master angler, innovator, and designer involved with the development of the ICT II and XLS II rod series
- Marlene Skeets – fish guide and tutor Hawkes Bay, North Island